February 3, 2021
Dear Students/Families of Laura Secord Secondary School:
We are pleased to welcome students back to in-person learning at Laura Secord Secondary School. All DSBN secondary schools will be opening for in-person learning on Monday, February 8th.
Health and Safety Measures
We continue to follow all safety protocols under the direction of the Ministry of Education and Niagara Region Public Health for in-person learning for staff and students.
Enhanced COVID-19 Daily Self-Assessment for Students
-Daily self screening is essential
-We will be issuing a new self-assessment link for students to complete daily
before they arrive at school
-Teachers will be validating completion at the start of class
-Students must complete the daily COVID-19 self assessment and must stay
home if they have any symptoms
-We will share the specific link and instructions later this week
Some reminders for students:
-Make sure you have your mask on before entering the school
-Use hand sanitizer on entering the school and classrooms
-Maintain 2 meter physical distancing where possible
-Follow school signage and follow staff directions
-A reminder, to not congregate with other students, before and after school and on
School Day and Calendars
● Our school day remains the same as in semester 1 starting at 10:00 a.m. and ending at 2:00 p.m.
● We will be continuing with alternating weeks (period 1 and 2 or 3 and 4)
● I will be sharing our school’s calendars tomorrow
● Some of our classes with small class sizes, will be running as one cohort, meaning that students attend school every day that class occurs
● I will notify students and families of classes that will be running non-cohorted later this
● In-person learners will have attendance taken beginning at 10:00 a.m.
● Online learners connected to our school will have attendance taken at the outset of their learning day in the morning at 10:00 a.m. also
Return of Semester 1 School Materials
● If you are attending school in-person, please return the materials to the bins that will be at our entrances on your first day back at school
● If you are an online learner you may contact the school to arrange for drop off of these
materials next week.
If you have questions, please contact me at Helena.Tritchew@dsbn.org or 905-934-8501 x.63301. Please be patient as we are fielding a large number of requests at this time.